Only one place in the Triangle makes this better than this recipe.
h4. Noodle salad
* 1C cucumber, julienned
* 2C lettuce, preferably romaine, chopped
* 1/3C mint, chopped
* 2C bean sprouts
* 1/3C basil, preferably thai basil, chopped
* 1/2lb rice vermicelli
* 2T peanuts, chopped
Wash and prepare all vegetables. Mix together, and then distribute evenly among the four bowls. Cook rice noodles for four or five minutes, rinse with cold water to cool. Divide evenly among the four bowls.
h4. Vietnamese dipping sauce
* 2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
* 1t chili paste
* 1/4C fish sauce
* 2/3C hot water
* 2T lime juice, with pulp
* 1/4C sugar
* 2T carrot, julienned
Combine all ingredients, serve in small bowls alongside Bun Bo Xao.
h4. Stir-fried beef
* 1lb top sirlion, sliced thinly
* 2T lemongrass, chopped as finely as possible
* 1T fish sauce
* 1/2t sugar
* 1t soy sauce
* 2T vegetable oil
* 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
* 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
* 2T shallots, sliced thinly
Put the beef in the freezer for one to two hours, then remove and slice thinly. Mix remaining ingredients together, then coat sirloin with marinate. When everything else is ready, heat the oil in a wok, add the garlic onion and shallots, after 30 seconds, add the marinated beef. Cook until done. Place beef on top of salad.